ASEI - ISEC update 17th/03/2022

We tested the ISEC using “vermiculite” insulation and we were able to heat 1.2L of water on a bright sunny day.

Also we successfully modified a 500W AC rice cooker into a 100W DC ISEC and further tested it using the following setup;

1. 200W 24V (@100W 12V

panel) + ISEC: Results (1.2L boiled in 2hours)
  2. 200W 24V(@100W panel) + 12V DC battery +12V/24V charge controller +ISEC: Results (1.2L boiled in 1hr 45minutes
  3. 200W 24V(@100W panel) + 24V (@12v DC battery-series) + 12/24V charge controller +ISEC: 1.2L boiled in 45minutes

We have further explored ISEC designs we can use for our next stage and have narrowed down to a design similar to the 500W rice cooker shared earlier but rectangular in shape and with about a 40mm space for insulation between the outer casing and the inner cookpot.

We intend to collaborate with a social enterprise called “Takataka plastics” that makes products from recycled plastics https://www.takatakaplastics.com. They will make customised outer casings from HDPE plastic that we can adopt in our new ISEC design.
design

2 Likes

The third experience seems to be very interesting in time( 45 minute). In the main time it is the most expensive (2batteries). Can this be affordable for your targetted market?
Efficiency versus price is our challenge. I like your customised outer casing. Which software do you use to draw it?

Hello OSMER,

We are currently exploring further price reduction measures that will allow incorporation of a battery, one of those is adding a lighting option fo use during the night.
The reason this could work is the ISEC is used by some homes during morning, afternoon and late evenings which from our survey was about 6-7hours hence this could leave some power to enable lighting, a good value and selling proposition during marketing.
We are still experimenting this hence i cant be 100% sure it will work.

I used AUTOCAD mechanical for the drawings.
Thank you!

Thank you,Mayanja, for you reply.